Police: + (30) 22830 22255
Hospital: + (30) 22830 22210
According to mythology, Tinos was the residence of Aeolus, the god of the Winds. In mythic years the island was called "Ofioussa" (Ofis: snake) because of the snakes that lived here. According to myth, Neptune, the island's protector-god, sent a swarm of storks to send away the snakes. On the location of Kionia stood a temple dedicated to the "grand doctor", Neptune, who saved the island from the snakes.
The first inhabitants of Tinos are thought to have been immigrants from Asia Minor. The island's pre-historic years are not known. In the 8th century BC, Tinos was under the command of Eretria, while, in the 7th century, it came under the rule of Athens. Tinos fought on Athens's side during the Persian Wars, and afterwards it became a member of the Athenian Alliance. The island was successively conquered by the Macedonians, the Ptolemese of Egypt and the Romans, while it was brutally raided by pirated during the Byzantine Era.
In 1207, Tinos was occupied by the Venetians, who ruled the island until 1390 and influenced it culturally. Many inhabitants converted to Catholicism, while the island obtained fortification in order to protect it from the pirates raids. In 1715, the Turks managed to conquer Tinos and ruled the island until the Greek Revolution of 1821, in which Tinos played a significant role. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary was found on the island in 1822, after sister Pelagia had a vision. In 1940, in the port of Tinos, the Greek battle ship "Elli" was torpedoed by an Italian submarine.
The arcaelogical site in Kionia is one of the most important
sites of the ancient Greece. Here the god Poseidon
was worshipped and a glorious Sanctuary
was built to honor him.
Towards the end of the 4rth century B.C. the Antigonians
and the Lagians
, heirs of Alexander the Great, commanded the erection of many temples one of which must have been the Sanctuary of Poseidon in Kionia. An opinion supported to the existence of the star with the eight rays which is a typical symbol of the Macedonian Empire
The Wall ofthe Old Town
The archaeologist N. Kontoleon discovered the ruins
of an ancient town during excavations in the area of Exobourgo
. The Wall of this town started from the southwestern foothills of Exobourgo, at the back side of Panagia Church
. It was 1500m long
, built in Cycladic order. In its northern part there are ruins of three towers. Part of these towers has been preserved thanks to some farmers who built their stables embodying the ancient constructions in them.
The ancient town of Vruokastro
On the hill of Vryokastro there are ruins of the wall of the island’s most ancient settlement. According to archaeologists, the wall was constructed in the 16th century
. The town had a privileged location since it could control the commercial roads to Crete and to the central Cyclades.
The residents of Vruokastro could travel only on good weather conditions and were fond of hunting since the surrounding was perfect for it.
in the middle of the island of Tinos, surrounded by big almost perfectly
round grey rocks
. Due to its morphology, Volax is a place of unique beauty and lunar appearance that fascinates every visitor!
The peculiar Volax is reachable on foot. If you visit the island in spring don’t miss the chance to touch its hot rocks and experience the splendid Aegean sunset in a field full of wild yellow flowers
are typical of every island of the Cyclades
complex. The windmills in Tinos were constructed to grind grain for the bread in order to fulfill the hunger needs of the islanders and of the surrounding islands’ during the foreign occupations and in periods of War.
During the Venetian occupation wheat was cultivated in large amounts on Tinos; therefore more than 100 windmills
had been constructed then. In the World War II the Tinian millers put their lives into danger by grinding flour late at night to save people from starvation. In 1970 the windmills stopped operating.
The ideal location was an area with mild winds to avoid
the sails being torn.
The island of Tinos is particularly known
for the many elaborately designed dovecotes found here. The dovecotes have a long course in the island’s history but no one can precisely define the period that the first dovecotes appeared in Tinos. The first reference
is around 1726
and their number grew bigger during the Venetian occupation due to the systematic breeding of the pigeons. The most of them were constructed
in the 18th
Bay of Ysternia
The beach of Ysternia is 20km away from the town of Tinos. This idyllic beach is ideal for water sports and sunbathing. In the settlement of Ysternia you will find many shops.
Laouti or Skyladaк
Laouti beach is the water-sports lovers’ favorite destination on the island. Enjoy the crystal waters and the sandy shore and rest yourselves in the seaside cafes and restaurants. Buses arrive and leave the beach of Laouti frequently.
The beach of Agios Romanos with the homonymous chapel is situated in the southern part of the island. The beach is long sandy with pebbles and has an amazing view of the island of Syros. Agios Romanos is not an organized beach and is reachable only by a descending path. At the end of the beach there is a small port and a local tavern.
"Tinos Resort" 4* Hotel
Located at the capital of Tinos, called Chora (square of St Charalampos), it is closed to the new port of the island and to an organized beach. The distance from the port and organized beach is only 5 minutes on foot and only 10 minutes on foot, from the centre of the city enabling you to be at the heart of entertainment. At Tinos Resort you are able to enjoy a comfortable accommodation in the luxurious suites, plenty of resting and dew of our swimming pool.
"Cavos" Bungalows & Studios, Furnished Apartments
Just a few meters from one of the most beautiful beaches in Tinos and with a view over the eye-catching, white-washed chapel of Agios Sostis, the Cavos complex is a small white village built in traditional style, offering a true breath of relaxation and enjoyment for your vacation.
"Porto Raphael" Residence & Suites, Furnished Apartments
Relax at your private veranda and enjoy the magnificent Sea views of Tinos complimentary Wi-Fi access, personalized concierge services, and daily traditional breakfast.